Tourist Board Krapinske Toplice

Zagrebačka 4
49217 Krapinske Toplice

Working hours:
Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 16:00

History of Krapinske Toplice

THE AGE OF DINOSAURS – EARLY MAN IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF KRAPINA

Mammoth tusks and stone axes from the Neolithic have been found in the area of Krapinske Toplice as well as fossils from the Pannonian Sea that date back to the Miocene Period.

AQUAE VIVAE – THE ROMAN PERIOD

From the Roman period, there is a well preserved milestone and Roman coins that tell us that Krapinske Toplice was known as Aquae Vivae. “The Water of Life” offered Roman soldiers rest and recuperation on their way to Pannonia.

1334 – FIRST MENTIONING

Sancti Trinitatis de Toplicza – or the Parish of the Holy Trinity in Toplice – is first mentioned in 1334 in the list of parishes in the Zagreb Diocese, however it is believed that the parish is much older than that.

1609 THE KEGLEVIC FAMILY – The beginnings of the development of the bathing complex

KEGLEVIC'S XENODOCHIUM – a bathing complex for ladies

Do you know what a xenodochium is? It is a type of a building that was used for the accommodation of guests. In the case of Krapinske Toplice, the xenodochium (Ancient Greek: ksenos - stranger, foreigner; dekhomai - receive, accept) could accommodate up to seven women without their husbands. It was located between the church and the bathing complex. It is believed that it is a precursor of present day hospitals.  According to discovered documents, it was build by the then owner of Krapinske Toplice, Franjo Keglevic.

1709 THE OLDEST CROATIAN BOOK ON BALNEOLOGY  

In the early 18th century, the thermal bathing complex of Krapinske Toplice was the best known such complex in Croatia and was also well-known in Vienna. The bathing complex was then built in a very primitive manner, which we can learn from Leopold Payer's book On the Virtue of the Varazdin and Krapina Spa, which was published in 1709 and is the oldest Croatian book on balneology

 1729 – first mentioning of the bathing complex ballneum
 1735 – mentioning of hospitale pauperium or hospital (hospitium – an inn, a hospice)

1772 THE GENTLEMEN'S BATH

According to discovered documents, three springs are in use in Krapinske Toplice.

The pride of the town is the middle one – the Gentlemen's Bath – roofed over even then.

1773 FIRST CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE WATER

The first chemical analysis of Croatian mineral and thermal spring waters was carried out by Viennese chemist Baron Heinrich Johann Cranz. The results were published in Vienna in 1773. 

1779 a Dutch physician Ivan Lalangue, at the request of Maria Theresa, works in Croatia and describes Krapinske Toplice as two open air springs and one walled in and roofed over for the great convenience of those who bathe therein.

1792 above the Gentlemen's Bath, the Dubrava Bath with one pool is built.

1808 above the upper spring, the Rukavina Bath is built.

In the early 19th century, the upper baths are owned by Count Keglevic, while the lower springs belonged to Countess Orsic.

FAST DEVELOPMENT – THE BADL PERIOD

1859 – When in the middle of the 19th century a well known merchant Jakov Badl, tired from constant travelling in horse-drawn carts and suffering from sciatic pain, made a stop at the spa and took a bath in one of the pools, he came out from the water as a new man, cured and strengthened for new business triumphs – triumphs that he wanted to achieve nowhere else but in Krapinske Toplice.

Badl bought the baths and built new ones – now the legendary Jacob's, Mary's and People's baths. Next to the baths, he built a hotel, a sanatorium and a restaurant (Bellevue), he landscaped and planted parks and park lanes and the town soon became a favourite and fashionable spa of the Austro-Hungarian elite.

Mary's and Jacob's baths are built right at the spring. The front of the building in which these baths are situated bears the Croatian coat of arms with the water spring and the enscription Aqua vivae as well as the text: “In honour of our homeland and for the benefit of the people. MDCCCLXII.”

1861 FIRST TOURIST BROCHURE

1861 Dr. Leopold Tanzer wrote the first booklet on Toplice “Die Mineralquellen Krapina – Töplitz nächst Rohitsch in Kroatien”.

It was printed in Vienna.

1868 FIRST PUBLISHED MONOGRAPH

The monograph on Krapinske Toplice, “Der Kurort Krapina Toplitz und seine warmen Quellen und Bäder”, was published by Dominik Bancalari. It was printed in Vienna in German. It was later printed in Croatian.

1882 GOLD MEDAL IN STATE EXHIBITION IN TRIESTE for quality in tourism
1885 GOLD MEDAL IN INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION IN BUDAPEST for quality in tourism

1952 a health spa is founded that ten years later developed into a Hospital for rheumatism and rehabilitation.

Modern boom began in the rheumatology ward. In time, new hospital wards were founded – orthopaedics, neurology and cardiology.

 At the end of the last century, two new hospital buildings were built. From 1994, the hospital is known as the Krapinske Toplice specialty hospital for medical rehabilitation.

After independence, Krapinske Toplice became the incubator of private investment in health care.

1996 Magdalena, the first private clinic in Croatia, is founded

2008 Akromion, a famous orthopaedic hospital, is founded